It is a typical side dish of Sicilian cuisine, created by the Arabs who imported oranges into the Island. Flavors and aromas are combined in an unusual way but, surprisingly, in balance. A delicious salad, to be enjoyed in winter.
- PGI red oranges from Sicily
For 4 people:
• 4 PGI red oranges from Sicily or PDO oranges from Ribera
• 2 fennels
• 8 black olives
• anchovies (possibly also capers)
• ½ red onion
• 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon of wine vinegar
• a pinch of oregano
• salt and pepper as required
• aromatic herbs
1. Peel the onion into thin slices and let it rest in cold water for 10 minutes.
2. Peel the oranges, trying to eliminate also the white skin. Cut them into thin slices and place them on a serving dish.
3. Wash the fennel and slice them thinly, such as oranges and onions.
4. Add the fennel, onion, olives and anchovies to oranges.
5. Prepare an emulsion in an bowl with the orange juice, oil, salt and pepper, and mix quickly with a fork.
6. Season the salad with the sauce obtained and serve.